I131 contamination-responses

radsafers,

the responses to my request for information on I131 contamination control on
the set up and take down of the patient rooms was excellent.  more than brian
methe and I expected.

the summary is as follows:

set up time was about 2 hours
   1. set up - 40% was by health physics or rso personnel
                   40% was by nuclear medicine personnel
                   15% by housekeeping with check list from rso
                    5% by nursing staff, again with check list from rso

take down time ranged from 4 to 6 hours
   2. take down - 66% by health physics or rso personnel
                        34% by nuclear medicine personnel
                         6% by house keeping
                         5% by nursing staff

the rad waste generated during take down amounted to about 6 to 8 cubic feet.
the waste was placed in "hold for decay".

some comments were as follows:

funded by diagnostic department
dedicated room and allowed to decon to 2000 dpm for next patient (2 responses)
out patient set up not as eloborate as before
use rad techs for take down because they have to be there anyway
too much trouble to train house keeping personnel
house keeping are unions and would require more hazardous pay

we hope this helps.  it certainly helped us!

finally, we are looking for a video tape on set up and take down of I131 rooms
any for sale or loan?

brian methe, rso albany medical center hospital
bob ryan, health physics st. peter's hospital

ryanchp@aol.com