LLW Compacts

Dave Scherer states, correctly,

> >While Dave Scherer makes some good points, imagine the political
> >ramifications IF the federal government initiated such an action!
> >We'd have Ruby Ridges in most parts of the country!  The states
> >sovereignty can not be over-stepped by the federales. The states are
> >required to manage their own territories, and, are bound to protect
> >their own constituents to the best of their ability, and based on
> >their own needs and assumptions. While we may not disagree, there >are
> certain states rights that must be followed, and accepted, whether
> >or not we agree or disagree with them.
>
> The situation I described is _exactly_ the case for solid waste today.
> Illinois cannot legally exclude waste from other states.

Only the Compact legislation, with indivisual Compacts authorized by Congress
enables exemption from the Commerce Clause for waste disposal.

Another example of the local authority though was Idaho's illegal but
successful blockage of Navy fuel and Ft. St. Vrain ceramic fuel "at the
border", speaking of a neutered Fed gov. :-)