Re: OR room x-ray patient for spounge count

Chris Alston wrote:

> I assume that sponges have been found by radiographyfluoroscopy, subsequent
> to a physical inventory that supposedly accounted for all of them. Why not
> do it? Anyway, it would seem to be the better part of valor.
>
> chris alston
> P.S. Opinions expressed here are mine alone.
>
> At 12:21  12/12/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> >
> >------=_NextPart_000_000C_01BD06F7.FB76D640
> >
> >One of the surgent in our place routinely x-ray patinets after surgery =
> >to make sure no spounges are left in the patinets. This is in addition =
> >to spounge count that he has already done (sort of double verification). =
> >Those spounges can be clearly seen on x-ray. Can someone coment on this. =
> >=20
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Richard Wu, M.S., DABR, DABSNM
> >RSO/Medical Physicist
> >United/Unity/Mercy Hospital
> >St. Paul, MN
> >rwu@clinserv.com
> >612-635-4404
> >
> >------=_NextPart_000_000C_01BD06F7.FB76D640
> >
> ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
> ><HTML>
> ><HEAD>
> >
> ><META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1 =
> >http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> ><META content=3D'"MSHTML 4.71.1712.3"' name=3DGENERATOR>
> ></HEAD>
> ><BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> ><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>One of the surgent in our place =
> >routinely x-ray=20
> >patinets after surgery to make sure no spounges are left in the =
> >patinets. This=20
> >is in addition to spounge count that he has already done (sort of double =
> >
> >verification). Those spounges can be clearly seen on x-ray. Can someone =
> >coment=20
> >on this.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
> ><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Thanks.</FONT></DIV>
> ><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> ><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Richard Wu, M.S., DABR, =
> >DABSNM<BR>RSO/Medical=20
> >Physicist<BR>United/Unity/Mercy Hospital<BR>St. Paul, =
> >MN</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> ><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><A=20
> >href=3D"mailto:rwu@clinserv.com";>rwu@clinserv.com</A><BR>612-635-4404</FO=
> >NT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
> >
> >------=_NextPart_000_000C_01BD06F7.FB76D640--

 IMHO:

A Radiographic (or Fluoro if there is image storage or can be done at a lower
ESE) sponge count should be performed if there is a discrepancy between the
before/after count by the OR nurse or technician or whoever is in charge of
this function.

Routine radiography after a good count seems like a case of unnecessary
radiation exposure.  Have a second counting procedure rather than relying on
x-ray exposure.

--
        /