Re: ALARA

For what it may be worth in the consideration of ALARA, my recollection is
that when  it was  first proposed in the early 1970s draft Appendix I in
general terms, a number  of utilities objected that it was too vague.  So
in response the NRC came up with specific numerical values for ALARA in the
context of doses from routine releases from power reactors. In my
recollection, this was the first regulatory definition of ALARA.