Re: Shipping radioactive material

You wrote:

	Regulations for transportation of radioactiver material are given in
     the NRC regs of 10 CFR Part 71, which pretty well echoes the DOT regs.
      Accoring to 10 CFR 71.10(a)(1),  the relevant exemption is :

     Packages containing no more than Type A quantities of radioactive
     material and no fissile material. [The Type A amount of natural
     uranium is unlimited]

     So you can safely take that orange Fiestaware home in your car or on
     the bus.

     10 CFR Part 71 is on the Web at

     http://www.nrc.gov/NRC/CFR/PART071/index.html

     Ruth Weiner
     Sandia National Laboratories, Transportation Systems Division

     Usual disclaimers.

Having < A1/A2 quantity may exempt you from 10CFR71, but it does NOT exempt
you from 49CFR.  There is a specific caution about this in 10CFR71.5.  In any
event, 10CFR71 only applies to NRC licensed material.

I know of no exemptions from ALL 49 CFR requirements for items such as
Fiestaware, if, in fact, the activity is > 2 nCi/g.  It seems that those
receiving such items should also receive a notice about the radioactivity.
I'm not sure if the Hazmat Employee Training requirement would apply to
someone transporting this material home, since this individual is not a hazmat
employee.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com