E. coli and farmers

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 Mike Krzesniak wrote:

A question came up from a colleag who has some cows.  How long can
the bacteria live outside an animal, in feces etc. ?   Why aren't
farmers with livestock sick all the time?

> Your argument about possibly cross-contamination by handling raw meat is
> more well-founded, since certain lots are known to be contaminated with
> the virulent pathogen. However, this would be more of an OSHA concern to
> the workers in the cook operation, rather than to the consumer of the
> cooked product. By the way, have you never wondered why continuous
> epidemics of E. coli O157:H7 are not observed in farmers and meat
> packing and processing workers and their families?

I responded:

This is more than an OSHA issue, since the cross-contaminated food may
be eaten uncooked.  Regarding epidemics in farmers and meat processing
workers: Since E. coli infection often tends to be sub-clinical, I would
expect, and some evidence suggests, that most farmers and meat
processing workers and their families have been exposed and have
developed immunity.

See D. Reymond et al., Neutralizing antibodies to Escherichia coli
Verotoxin 1 and antibodies to O157 lipopolysaccharide in healthy farm
family members and urban residents, J. of Clinical Microbiology, v.34,
pp. 2053-2057  and  J.B. Wilson et al., Vero cytotoxigenic Escherichia
coli infection in dairy farm families, J. of Infectuous Diseases, v.174,
pp.1021-1027.  Our library doesn't have either of these journals, but I
was able to get an abstract of Reymond et al. from Medline.  Reymond et
al. found that farm family members were almost three times as likely to
have antibodies to O157 lipopolysaccharide (12.5% vs. 4.7%, p < 0.01) as
urban controls and dairy farm family members were almost six times as
likely to have antibodies to verotoxin 1 (42.0% vs. 7.7%, p < 0.001) as
the urban controls.

In addition to my FOODSAFE posting, there is the following new item.
U.S. New & World Report had a cover story around Thanksgiving on food
safety and/or emerging diseases that featured a New England farm family,
almost all of who caught the "hot", antibiotic-resistant strain DT104 of
Salmonella from their dairy herd.  The wife almost died.  DT104 showed
up about a decade ago in the UK and Europe, but has become quite
prevalent in the U.S. in the last few years.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA

js_dukelow@pnl.gov

The thoughts are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.