Re: C14 Natural abundance

Jean:  Carbon-14 is not "naturally abundant" because its half-life is not
on the order of the age of the earth, i.e., on the order of the half-life
of U-238 (4.5 billion years).  C-14 is however "naturally (cosmically)
produced."  For this information, see Eisenbud and Gesell, 4th Ed,
Environmentally Radioactivity, pages 549--550 which should help in your
calculation.  Best regards  David

At 03:45 AM 19-12-97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I would like to work out what is  the amount of activity due to C14 in the
>human body.
>Can someone tell me what is the natural abundance of C14.
>
>Thanks,
>
>JM

>Jean-Michel MURE
>ANDRA
>DSU/SR/Radiological Protection and Environmental Surveillance
>Parc de la Croix Blanche
>1-7, rue Jean Monnet
>92298 CHATENAY MALABRY Cedex
>FRANCE
>Tel : 01 46 11 83 74
>Fax : 01 46 11 80 13
>Email : jm.mure@andra.fr

David W. Lee
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Radiation Protection Services Group (ESH-12)
PO Box 1663, MS K483
Los Alamos, NM  87545
PH:   (505) 667-8085
FAX:  (505) 667-9726