Re: Commodities

At 06:10 AM 12/19/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Can anyone suggest a good text/lit that gives an explaination of most
>of the Radioactive commodities that have been used or are being used
>in our society.  I am looking for the text to tell me how the
>radioactive source is used in the commodity.
>
>LT DAN

Besides the NRCP 95 mentioned, I suggest:

A) RECPMMENDATION:

1) Radiation Protection Series  31, Radiation Protecttion of the Public in
Respect of Consumer Goods Containing Radioactive Substances -- Commission of
European Communities, Report EUR 9290, 1984

2) A Guide for Controlling Consumer Products Containing Radioactive
Substances -- OECD/NEA, 1985

3) The Code of Practice on Regulatory Control of Cnsumer Products Containing
Radioactive Substances, IAEA 1990

B) RADIATION DOSES:

1) McDowell-Boyer, L.M. and O'Donnell, F.R. -- Radiation Dose estimates from
timepieces containing tritium or promethium-147 in radioluminous paints,
ORNL/NUREG/TM-150, ORNL, 1978

2) McDowell-Boyer, L.M. and O'Donnell, F.R. -- Estimates of potentilal
radiation doses from wristwatches containing tritium gas,
ORNL/NUREG/TM-255, ORNL, 1978

3) O'Donnell, F.R. -- Assessment of  radiation doses from radioactive
materials in consumer products -- methods, problems and results,
"Radioactivity in Consumer Products" NUREG/CP-0001,  1978

C) TODAY

1) There Consumer Products Containing Radioactive Substances  which are not
more available in many countries, however there are many which have been
supplied to members of the public in the past containg very high activity,
as Timepieces containg Ra-226 (Up to 200 kBq), lightining conductor
containig Ra-226 (Up to 40 MBq) and Am-241 (Up to 400 MBq, luminizing kits
containg Ra-226 (Up to 100 Bq), ...     where are they???

2) Countries with infrastructure of Control

Please take a look in the following reference: Radiation and Safety,
available at the IAEA site:

HTTP://www.iaea.or.at/worldatom/inforesource/other/radiation/radsafe.html

"Radiation in Consumer Products. Minute radiation doses are received from
the artificial radioactivity in consumer goods such as smoke detectors and
luminous watches, and from the natural radioactivity of gas mantles. The
global yearly average dose is extremely small 0.0005 millisieverts)"

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Israel
Many thanks for the opportunity to be part of this group during 1997. It was
a good experience. Happy New Year and good luck to all.