Re-Smoke Detector Disposal

Bill, on the surface you decision seems very conservative.  Can you provide me
with the model number of the device and manufacturer, plus AM-241 content of
each.  Initial safety analysis of such detectors assumed that up to 1,000 would be
disposed of in normal refuse (collection bin) at one time.  Other safety analyses
evaluated up to 25,000 such detectors burning up in a warehouse and the resultant
exposure to the public and firefighters.

Since you used the word "industrial" I assume each device exceeded 80
microCuries of AM-241?

H.  Dean Chaney, CHP -  USNRC, Region IV/WCFO
hdc@nrc.gov
ddchaney@castles.com

The views put forth above are my own and do not necessarily
reflect the beliefs or policies of the USNRC or any other
governmental entity.