Nonukes--right to free speech

>However, it is very important to remember that people have a right to their
>opinions and to publish even what is clearly erroneous information, even
>though we personally find it disturbing.  Thus, the flat earthers have just
>as much right to expound their opinions, erroneous as they clearly may be,
>as those who believe the more conventional wisdom.

I do not believe this is entirely true.  One does not have a right to
publish information which is clearly erroneous.  I believe there are laws
against slander.  I also believe it is illegal to yell "fire" in crowded
places.  Both of these examples apply to the given discussion.

In the former case, if the radiation safety community, or a given
institution, could prove that they have been personnally damaged by these
incorrect statements I would think that they could win financial
compensation in a court of law.

If the justification behind the latter statement is that people can be
physically injured by the panic caused by unsubstantiated, intentional lies,
criminal charges could be brought against people erroneously yelling
"Radiation--bad!".

Of course the affected party would have to be able to prove that the
statements were false and that damage did occur because of them.

Anyone know if Johnny Cochrane is available?

Of course, I could be wrong...

Todd Maxwell, RRPT
The Scripps Research Institute
Environmental Health and Safety