Re: Research Subject Doses

>         I would say that the only sure thing is that the risk is very
> small (e.g. not larger than the linear estimate), and it is just as likely
> to be beneficial as harmful.
>
> Bernard L. Cohen
> Physics Dept.
> University of Pittsburgh
> Pittsburgh, PA 15260
> Tel: (412)624-9245
> Fax: (412)624-9163
> e-mail: blc+@pitt.edu

It would seem to me, based on the weight of the actual epidemiological and
biological evidence, that it would be "more likely" to be beneficial as
harmful, though even more likely that "it's not enough to effect health either
way". (You'ld get more DNA damage from drinking a cup of coffee or running a
hundred yards. I haven't seen evidence of the stimulation of the immune
response that can prevent/reduce cancer at 0.5 rem.)

However, in all of this discussion, it would seem that a primary source
reference missing is the HPS' own Position Statement: that the radiation
health effects data provides no basis to calulate risk at less than 5
rem/year, or 10 rem lifetime.

(Re BEIR V, reading their own details acknowledges clear thresholds for many
endpoints in which they then draw a straight line anyway. The argument is that
this is ok for "rad protection policy/planning", but does not reflect actual
potential health effects should be taken to heart.)

Regards, and best to all for the new year,

Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com
muckerheide@mediaone.net