Re: Isotope Transfer Documentation Requirements

I agree with over public streets but within the same campus
we just placard and hand carry paperwork with the item. The
mice being trucked 5 miles from yesterday's writer does
represent a larger liability than our internal, on the same
block and not crossing any streets movement of nuclear
medicine materials for our own usage and the agreement
state of Alabama has not challenged this so long as
properly label the ordinary box (not DOT spec packing) and
have a qualified, dosimetry badged and meter carrying
person accompany this radioisotope from one location like
Nuclear Cardiology's Hot Lab down to our main Nuclear
Medicine hot lab within the Radiology Department.  This is
the same license number on the same physicial block and the
license is written by our agreement state to include both
physical facilities.  (therein, I think lies the key)
On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 14:38:41 -0600 (CST) "Kent N. Lambert"
<lambert@auhs.edu> wrote:

> So, when I take a sample of Tc-99m from my hospital to my classroom
> (Different but interconnected buildings, and different licenses) I
> have to package it in accordance with DOT requirement?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> > As someone has pointed out, if the transfer is completely indoors,
> > DOT rules do not apply.  However, someone else has pointed out that
> > NRC imposes the rules anyway.
>
> Kent N. Lambert, M.S., CHP
> lambert@auhs.edu
> Allegheny University of the Health Sciences
> Hahnemann Division
> Radiation Physics and Safety, MS 106
> Broad and Vine Streets
> Philadelphia, PA  19102-1192
>
> 215-762-8768 (voice)
> 215-762-7683 (fax)
>
> Disclaimer:  All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
> Needless to say, they are not (necessarily) the opinions of my employer.

Mark Steinbuchel
markst@ONC.hhsys.org