Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 11:08:05 PST
From: "Sean Austin" <seanaustin@hotmail.com>
To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: Message-ID: <19971230190806.27710.qmail@hotmail.com>

My read on this is that these animals are exempt from DOT, and also NRC,
regulation because the radioactive material has been injected into or
ingested by live animal(s), and therefore, per 49 CFR 173.401 (b)(3),
the regs do not apply.  Just make sure they do not die in transit. Then
you have radwaste.

  _/    _/  _/  _/_/_/_/  Dave Derenzo, MPH  (dave@uic.edu)
  _/    _/  _/  _/        Health Physicist
  _/    _/  _/  _/        University of Illinois at Chicago
  _/    _/  _/  _/        Radiation Safety Section, MC932
  _/    _/  _/  _/        820 S. Wood St., Chicago, IL 60612-7314
  _/_/_/_/  _/  _/_/_/_/  Voice:(312)996-7429  Fax:(312)996-8776
  ______________________  URL:  http://www.uic.edu/~dave