Re: Byproduct vs. Accelerator Produced Materials

Federal facilities are not required to obtain licenses for receiving
accelerator produced RAM.  The federal government has not waived its
sovereign immunity concerning activities involving the use of
radioactive materials.  This is why the NRC still regulates federal
facilities that are located within agreement states.  The NIH has had
similar "problems" with NARM in the past, but has always used this
argument, and it appears that Dept. of Justice has supported it in the
past.

Sean M. Austin, CHP
seanaustin@hotmail.com

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of my employer or the federal government.