drill scenario ???

Hi all,

I have received an interesting e-mail from someone who claims to have been
involved in a the following drill scenario. I am interested in seeing if
the scenario was realistic or not. Anyone having comments, please send
them to me at babusby@aol.com. Thank you

The following are taken from this person's e-mail:

--------------------cut and pasted----------------------

Subject: Nothing like showing a little bias?

Why don't you explain the problems that would be caused by exposing a
spent-fuel rod to the air for just a few minutes. I was involved in a
drill involving such a scenario." A crain operator supposedly lifted a
spent rod from the fuel pit, instantly killing all personell in the
plant. It was estimated that lethal doses of radiation were found as far
out as 10 miles. But this was only a well performed drill.

--------------cut----------------------------

Subject: RE: Nothing like showing a little bias?

This scenario was performed at "Zion Nuclear Power Plant", in Zion, IL by
the utility in cooperation with the N.R.C. They thought that the scenario
was very realistic since spent-fuel rods are so hot that their radioactive
half life is around 1000 years and there rem readings are in the thousands
of rem.

Bruce Busby
bbusby@umich.edu
BABusby@aol.com