RE: RadSafe Problem

Dr. Raabe and other RadSafers,

The problem is that not all mail servers recognize BASE64 encoding.
Older mail servers ("old" in computer time...a few years) used uuencode
as the primary encoding message (encoders convert binary files to
seven-bit ascii files so that servers won't try to execute the
attachment as a program).  Newer servers recognize BASE64 as well as
uuencode.  If the server does not recognize the encoding of the
attachment, it prints the raw encoded message (all the gibberish ASCII
characters).  However, the attachment is still retrievable with a little
more work.  The following web page has a program called UUDEVIEW that
can encode and decode BASE64, uuencode, binhex, and a few others.

http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/~fp/uudeview/

There is a DOS, Windows, and UNIX version (no Mac version but there are
links to similar programs for Macs).  Basically, what is involved is
saving the entire e-mail message as a text file and opening up the text
file within UUDEVIEW.  The software goes through the e-mail message,
picks out the attachment, decodes it, and saves it as a file on the hard
drive.   Melissa has wisely reminded us of the hazards of attaching
files to our RadSafe postings, but for those who want access to Dr.
Raabe's previously posted attachment, this is one method.

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP
Carolina Power & Light Company
Harris Energy and Environmental Center