Re: Radioactivity on Rails

Knapp, Timothy M. wrote:

> Dr. Raabe,
>         I saw a pretty good video at the "American Museum of Science" in
> Oak Ridge on type B casks, only about 1 min long but very interesting.
> Maybe someone from that neck of the woods could point you in the right
> direction.
>
> Regards

There is a classic video of work at Sandia National Lab involving
demonstrations of strength of a Type B fuel cask.  The 2 demonstrations
were conducted on the rock sled track at SNL.  One test involved a
tractor trailer with Type B cask stopped on a RR crossing.  The cask is
centered over the rails and is T boned by a locomotive traveling at 80
mph.  After the dust from the impact settles the locomotive is totally
destroyed and the cask is essentially undamaged.  The second
demonstration involves a tractor trailer impacting a large immovable
concrete barrier at 80+ mph.  Needless to say the tractor trailer
disappears and an unscathed Type B cask is sitting in the debris field.

I have seen this tape at the National Atomic Museum (505-284-4291) in
Albuquerque, which is run by SNL for DOE.  Ask for Jim Walther the
museum Director, he can put you in touch with the right folks over at
SNL.

J. Andrew Tompkins, CHP
Alpha-Dyne LLC.
Woodstock, GA   30189