Re: British scientists demand cellphone warnings

>  FEATURE-British scientists demand cell phone warnings

It appears that one Welsh environmental manager and one New
Zealand meteorologist are now the voice of "British Science".

And you thought ionizing radiation has problems with the media <sigh>

>  ``In my opinion, and in the opinion of many scientists, anyone who uses
> a mobile  telephone for more than 20 minutes at a time needs to have
> their brain tested,'' says  bioelectromagnetic scientist Roger
> Coghill.

Roger Coghill is a "biologist and environmental manager" who runs
Coghill Research Laboratories in Wales, which makes magnets to "help
people suffering from muscular or arthritic pain".

Coghill has self-published: "Something in the Air:  A Biologist's Review
of Adverse and Beneficial Effects on Mankind? from the Use of Radio,
TV, Telecommunications, Mobile Phones?"

The book explains the "Coghill hypothesis of cerebral morphogenic radiation"

According to Coghill "The brain is actually an organic fully
operational radiotransmission station? [that] is in radio contact
with every cell in its body".

Coghill has published one small epidemiological study of electric
blankets and childhood leukemia.

>  New Zealand biophysicist Neil Cherry says artificial
> electromagnetic radiation (EMR)  can pose a health risk.
>
>  ``There is a growing body of scientific research which shows that
> very low, non-thermal  levels of radio frequency and microwave
> radiation alters the basic biochemistry of cells  which have a
> potential to cause altered brain function, carcinogenesis and
> impaired immune system functioning,'' he says.

Neil Cherry is a meteorologist and elected official who has
self-published a review of the health hazards of "EMF". His review mixes
50-Hz and RF studies.

Cherry recommends a frequency-independent public exposure standard of
0.001 mW/cm2.  This is 200 to 1000 times stricter than the ANSI/IEEE,
the FCC (US), the ICNIRP or the NRPB (UK) standards and would
effectively ban all wireless communication.

According to Cherry "EMF" exposure is "highly statistically
associated" with health effects, although there is no scientific proof
that the EMF caused the health effects.

These health effects include: "cancers at many sites in the body,
sleep disruption, chronic fatigue syndrome, miscarriage, birth
defects, altered human EEG and circadian rhythm and several other
adverse effects."

Cherry does not appear to have published anything on the subject in
the peer-reviewed literature.

John Moulder (jmoulder@its_dot_mcw_dot_edu)
Maintainer:  Powerlines & Cancer FAQs,
             Static EM Fields and Cancer FAQs
             Cell Phone Antennas & Health FAQ
USENET: sci.med.physics, sci.answers, news.answers.
http://www.mcw.edu/gcrc/cop.html/