Re: Exercise scenarios vs. reality

---------
> From: Egoitein@aol.com
> To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> Subject: Re:  Exercise scenarios vs. reality
> Date: Tuesday, January 13, 1998 4:25 PM

My experience is with light water reactors at commercial
nuclear power plants.  For criticallity to occur Keff (also
known as the effective multiplication factor) would
have to be 1.0 or greater. Therefore, one must determine
if an input of positive reactivity would occur as a result of the
3" diameter bolt falling onto the spent fuel racks.  (I'm not
going to get into a course on reactor physics here; however,
the six-factor formula is what you would use to determine
the probability of criticality.) The answer to the question is,
no it will not cause criticality.