Re: Exercise Scenarios

Having read all the postings about how impossible it is to have dangerous doses
at great distances from a fuel bundle being lifted above water level, I recall a
scenario we considered several years ago.  A fuel bundle is lifted out of the
water and the crane fails.  The bundle then melts due to decay heat releasing
all the noble gasses and a large percentage of the iodine and particulate
fission products to the building. This plume is then released to the atmosphere
via an unfiltered pathway with no partitioning factor (not likely I agree) into
extremely stable meteorlogical conditions.  The doses as I recall were in the
hundreds of rads/hour at 10s of miles.

Harry Reynolds
303-96-2708
Harold.Reynolds@RFETS.gov