Re: USA TODAY front page - hanford

> Date:          Thu, 15 Jan 1998 14:41:47 -0600 (CST)
> From:          Bruce Busby <bbusby@umich.edu>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       USA TODAY front page - hanford

> Hi All,
>
> Here is an article on Handford and the Downwinders from the front page of
> today's USA Today
>

>   http://www.usatoday.com/news/acovthu.htm
>

> Any comments?
>

> Bruce Busby
> bbusby@umich.edu
> BABusby@aol.com

Bruce;
An interesting article. One paragraph states,"Moreover, the federal
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) agrees,
calculating that 14,000 Hanford down-winders were exposed to
sufficient radiation in their youth to cause dozens of cases of
thyroid cancer and other ills".

The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center,
Hanford Thyroid Disease Study in Seattle, WA has not
yet completed the research on this subject and therefore the number
of people affected by these releases can not yet be estimated.
If we use the number of litigants requesting reperations as a basis
for this estimate, the number of cases would be much higher.

The web site for the Hanford Thyroid Disease Study
http://www.fhcrc.org/science/phs/htds/
has a pilot studey report at:
http://www.fhcrc.org/science/phs/htds/pilotw.htm
and a December 1997 newsletter at:
http://www.fhcrc.org/science/phs/htds/dec97.htm
which describes the findings of this study up to this point.

Thanks for the post;
Paul Maser
State of Nevada
Nuclear Waste Project Office