Re: Irradiated Food

Thank you Cathie for an excellent summary of the USA Weekend article.
While I haven't personally read that article, your summary
demonstrates that the issues were handled objectively, and, addressed
what the real issues were, that of providing the public risk-free
meats, as best as possible. It also seems that the issue of dose
exposure used to kill the bacteria was handled in a professional
manner. I agree with you that high energy gamma, such as Co-60
irradiators have been used predominantly for irradiation.

I have to assume that the term "low dose" was NOT mentioned in the
article. If so, it seems that this article was portrayed correctly,
and, in realistic terms. They should be commended.
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division