Re: A Radioactive Transportation Puzzle

The "For Radioactive Materials Use Only" sign is generally used to fulfill
the
requirements of 49 CFR 173.443(d).  This allows more lenient free release
criteria for vehicles which have delivered an exclusive use shipment of
radioactive material.  The general free release criteria, in 49 CFR
173.443(c)
are:  (1) less than 0.5 mrem/hr at each accessible surface, and (2) no
significant removable surface contamination (< 22 cpm/cm2 beta-gamma and low
toxicity alpha, < 2.2 dpm/cm2 high toxicity alpha).  If a closed transport
vehicle is used solely for radioactive material packages and is marked, "For
Radioactive Materials Use Only" in letters at least 76 mm high on both
sides,
then the free release criteria are:  (1) < 10 mrem/hr at any interior
surface,
and (2) < 2 mrem/hr at 1 m from any interior surface.  A canvas top could
make
this a "closed vehicle".

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

Group,
I live about five miles South of Rocky Flats Environmental Center or
whatever they call themselves now.  As I was waiting for a light on
the road that goes North past the flats, a semi drove by.  The trailer was
what I would call a rock or dirt haulter.  Cross section a rounded
rectangle.  Usually open on top but they can [and usually should] have a
canvas tarp top pulled over the load to keep things from bouncing out
and dinging windshields.  I'm sure you've all seen this type of trailer,
though my description isn't to good.  They are used to haul dirt, rock
sand, agregate, rubble, etc.  Now the puzzle.  It had a small white
with black lettering sign that said "For Radioactive Materials Use Only".

Anybody got any clues?  I'm just curious.  As far as I know Rocky Flats'
Pu contaminated materials is all in drums and I don't know of anything
going on out there that would use a truck like that.  Ft. Saint Vrain is
done decommissioning, I think and I can't see why a truck from there would
be on that road.

Oh BTW the trailer was apparently empty.

Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center, Denver

Please reply to vernig.peter@forum.va.gov