Re: A Radioactive Transportation Puzzle

     It's Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site (can you believe?)

     There is a class of materials called (in 10 CFR 71 and other
     transportation and LLW regs) Low Specific Activity (LSA) materials,
     which is usually contaminated dirt or mine tailings and includes
     natural uranium and thorium and depleted U.  LSA is material in which
     the activity is uniformly distributed; the allowable activity is
     defined with reference to the Appendix of 10 CFR 71 (different for U,
     Th, etc.) -- see the definition of LSA in 10 CFR 71.  My guess is that
     the vehicle you describe was used to transport LSA material, probably
     contaminated soil.

     For LSA transportation packages (the package is the truck and cover,
     in this case), the external surface dose rate must not exceed 200
     mrem/hr and the dose rate at one meter from the external surface must
     not exceed 10 mrem/hr (10 CFR 71.47).  If the trailer is used only for
     LSA ("exclusive use") it has slightly higher allowable exterior dose
     rates.  The transportation package must also include a "containment
     system securely enclosed by a positive fastening " (10 CFR 71.43(c).
     But this is all when the LSA is actually being transported.  An empty
     truck would itself be LSA under 10 CFR 71.4 ("Objects ... externally
     contaminated") and surface contamination should not be readily
     dispersible and should not exceed small fractions of levels given in
     the Appendix.

     I would check with Rocky Flats transportation people.  Even an empty
     truck ought to be covered ("surface contamination should not be
readily dispersible") because abiding by the regulations depends largely on the
shipper if the shipment is in-state.  Your observation is the kind of thing that
gets blown out of proportion in discussions of radioactive materials
transportation.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Transportation Systems Department
Sandia National Laboratories