remediation statistics

I have been asked to write an article for a D&D trade magazine about
remediation of radioactive sites.  My tentative title is "Why are we
remediating so many sites" and it will examine the cost of the cleanups we
are performing versus the actual risk reduction that is taking place.  It
will be at the level of the general public.  I'd like to ask for help with
locating any of the following information:

Number of radioactive remediations that take place each year (private
sector, DOE, Federal facilities, or any combination thereof)

Approximate cost of these remediations

Typical contaminants and contamination levels

Any other relevant information (affected parties, non-rad contaminants
present, etc.)

Please respond to me unless you think your response would be of more
general interest.  I do NOT intend to say that we ought not remediate or
that cost/risk should be the sole deciding factor.  Rather, I would like to
provide some information about how this money is being spent and suggest
some other uses for some of it.  Finally, I'm not asking you to do my
research for me; I just don't really know where to look offhand.

As always, thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Andy

The opinions expressed above are well-reasoned and insightful.  Needless to
say, they are not those of my employer. (with apologies to Michael Feldman)

Andrew Karam, CHP  (karam.1@osu.edu)		(614) 292-1284 (phone)
The Ohio State University 				(614) 292-7002 (fax)
Office of Radiation Safety				"The mind is not a vessel to
1314 Kinnear Road					be filled but a fire to be
Columbus, OH  43212					lighted." (Plutarch)