Re: Cancer Assessment Press Release

Radsafers,

When I read the press release I immediately thought of  the NIH publication
 No. 90-874, "Cancer in Populations Living Near Nuclear Facilities".  To my
dismay
BNL was not included.  However, the Report and Summary provides us with an
indication of the status of the incidence of cancer in counties that harbor
nuclear facilities, "The study, of course, cannot prove the absence of an
effect, and its findings must be viewed in the context of its ecological
approach and the relatively large geographic areas( counties ) used in the
study.  It can be said, however, that if any excess cancers have occured in
counties with nuclear facilities, the number has been too small to detect by
the methods employed."  It is most probable that employees of  nuclear
facilities would likely live in a reasonable distance from the facility and
would therefor be "counted" in the survey?