Book Irradiation

I am looking for information on irradiation of books. Colorado State
University was flooded in 1997 which resulted in a substantial number of
books becoming damaged. We are in the process of trying several options
to sterilize the mold on the books. The Radiation Control Office has
suggested irradiating the books (several pallets 400,000+ books)with a
dose of approximately 5kGy. But what affect is this going to have on the
cellulose in the books? Will this dose be detrimental to the books?

Thank you in advance for all responses.
--
James C. Graham
Alternate Radiation Safety Officer