Re: Film Badges

Don Parry said the following: (and since he did, it is obvious my
message last night DID get through) ...

> I understand peoples concern with unnecessary cost and over burdensome
> regulations.  But if a small up front investment can result in a large dose
> reduction over time, how can one not consider it prudent.

If some of the states have NOT adopted the 15 rem/yr LDE limit, and
still enforce a 1250 mrem/qtr, then other methods would be necessary
to maintain the dose to the lens of the eye, which under the current
state regs, would be considered whole body, below this limit. Lead
glasses would then be prudent. However, this tool is only to minimize
dose to a body part that is still not at risk, and the only reason
one would consider the glasses is to circumvent the risk question in
the event that the regulatory limit is exceeded. Yes, the practioner
could say the individual exceeded 1250 mrem, but, they also wore
glasses, so the actual dose to the eyes was lower.. Again the
question to be asked is, where is the risk in the first place?

It would be nice if we all were under the same regulatory dose limits
as well!
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director