Re: Beta source available

I think we are beginnig to split hairs here.  I would contend that the
shipment Kent refers to is from the distributor not UPenn.  The package was
only incorrectly routed (which is another topic for another day).  But now
back to the point at hand.

The regulations clearly state that the source must be from a licensed
distributor.   A medical licensee must recieve byproduct material for
medical use from someone licensened unedr part 32.72 or 32.74.  See Part 35
Section C, "General Technical Requirements," there are several references
back to Part 32 for medical use.  In the case here, SR/Y-90 eye applicator
(as I remember), none of us know what the source has been used for in the
recent past.  Would the source meet all of the specifications for medical
use and pass all of the tests required.  I don't know.  If the source has
been used only for medical purposes, then I can see where the medical
comunity sees this as a silly requirement.  However, as a possible patient
someday I would like to know that the source used on me is not from "Joe's
discount emporium."

The source was probably intened for someone with research related uses, not
medical.

William B. McCarthy, Ph.D.
Assistant Radiation Protection Officer
Massachusetts Institute of Tecnology