Epi Studies of Rad. Workers

Hi Joel,

10 years ago? Study was at best premature, and most likely to achieve
nothing. There was negligible dose data in power plants vis weapons and
military/shipyard applications.

Not a sig numbernuke workers til ops of plants that started in
the early 70s, and not a sig group til the late 70's/early 80's; d
low relative to other nuke workers. Too much total dose with transient
workers (low accumulations for many in crafts that got higher doses in
outage, but worked infrequently in nukes vs other facilities.

Today ther might be enough latency for a sig number, but doses are so low...

I think they also knew theven finding lower effects would be
suppressed just as AEC studies, as Shipyard Workers Study, etc. Look at
EPRI: they know the data - Japan asked them, and Leonard Sagan pursued the
data, including the Oakland Conf in '85 (HPJ May 87), yet in the '90s they
issued a report, before Len Sagan even left (94) that misrepresented the
data to promulgate rad fear in support of their mission re the utilities.
When asked to assess the data, their effective response: 'We make our $
doLLW, and HLW, and ALARA research. This would be contrary to our
interests." "We collaborate with the DOE." "We don't make waves." etc etc
There might even be some question of EPRIs intentions and integrity in doing
the work. :-)  Like DOE.

Regards, Jim

> Regarding epi studies of nuclear power plant workers, I was at EPRI when
we > tried to initiate such a study.  However, it was still-born.  The
utility > members wanted nothing to do with it.  They saw it as very risky,
with > little or no benefit. In other words, the results would either hurt
the > industry or do nothing.