Re: Pb apron protocol

We often get inquiries from people even in dental offices who are asked
by accrediting bodies inspecting them to check their lead aprons, and
some even arrange with a hospital to fluoro them (the aprons) to check
for leaks, holes, cracks, etc. I explain that we, the state, have NO
requirements for such testing, and that it is completely unnecessary.
Even if there were some holes and cracks, big deal! It would be better
than nothing. When it falls apart, THEN get rid of it. I know, what we
should tell the dentists to do is to lay a patchwork of dental intraoral
films all over it (all "under" it) and shoot it, develop them all and
look for pinhole leaks. Hmmmmm.
Mike Odlaug
X-ray Manager
Division of Radiation Protection