RE: Smears (AKA Swipes) -Reply

In 1993, Packard Instruments put out a 6-page summary of various studies
on swipe assays where collection efficiency was measured using different
materials, methods and cocktails. It's just called "alpha beta
application note, Swipe Assays, ABA-006". It doesn't have a lot of data,
but shows bar charts and gives references (including Klein et al). I've
used this hand-out for the same purpose of demonstrating statistics, as
well as a quick reference when I get questions on swipe methodology and
materials. Their phone number is 800-323-1891. It's been a while, so I
don't know if it is still available, or if they have updated it.

Jim F. Herrold
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Wyoming
Environmental Health & Safety