Real surface activity levels for unrestricted release of materials

Dear Radsafers-

The EPA, NRC and DOE are studying the doses that can result from
residual radioactivity on materials that are released for unrestricted use
(e.g., metal recycling). For years, the fundamental guidance document
used for surface activity guidelines was (is) NRC's Regulatory Guide
1.86.

A default assumption in modeling these doses is that the residual
radioactivity on these free released materials is at the Reg Guide 1.86
guidelines.  My experience has been that materials are frequently only
released if they have no detectable activity on them, largely due to
perception problems (not wanting to set off alarm at landfill).

I would appreciate hearing from those individuals who administer
programs for the free release of materials.  What are the general levels
of radioactivity that are released?  What fraction of all materials released
actually have measurable activity?   If your limit is no detectable - what is
that value?  Where do these materials go (scrap dealer, landfill, etc.)?

Thanks for your input!

Regards,
Eric Abelquist
abelquie@orau.gov