Electromagnetic fields may be harmful

More interesting studies ... I particularly like this particular
conclusion: "... cells exposed for five to 15 minutes to
electromagnetic fields similar to those found in electric razors
caused a five- to 10-fold increase in the activity of a gene
associated with the formation of leukemia."  Now I know I'll never
shave my beard again!!!!

Here is the full article:

Sunday February 15 2:21 PM EST

ST. PAUL, Minn., Feb. 15 (UPI) _ Could your TV kill you?

Two news studies could spark new debate over the safety of
electromagnetic fields, which are generated by everything from power
lines to common household appliances.

Research conducted at Wayne Hughes Institute in St. Paul found that
exposure of cells to electromagnetic fields may produce cancer-causing
changes. In the past, some research on electromagnetic fields has
linked them to cancer while other research has not.

The meaning of the most recent studies, according to one of its
authors, is that further research is necessary.

Researcher Faith Uckun said in the first study, researchers used
sophisticated equipment to look inside cells exposed to low-energy
electromagnetic fields. They found the exposure had caused changes in
the cells' genetic signaling material, similar to cancer-forming
changes that occur when they are exposed to radiation and chemotherapy
drugs.

The second study found that cells exposed for five to 15 minutes to
electromagnetic fields similar to those found in electric razors
caused a five- to 10-fold increase in the activity of a gene
associated with the formation of leukemia.

Another researcher cautioned that the results of the study are far
from conclusive. Pediatrics Professor Leslie Robison told the St. Paul
Pioneer Press, ``it's a big jump from looking at certain cell
reactions and how it actually operates in human beings.''

The studies are being published in the Journal of Biological
Chemistry.
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director