Re: Rad Silicon

You wrote:

Good morning from soggy California.

Some time ago there was some discussion about "rads silicon" vs. "rads
air". I did a search in the Radsafe archives, but didn't get good
results. Do any of you know what "rads silicon" is and the conversion
factor from silicon to air? Is it the ratio of the mu/rhos?

Thanks for your help, and send us some sunshine, please! I was going to
buy a house on a hillside, but I just let it slide.

Donald P. Mercado
Radiation Safety Officer
Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space
O/47-20, B/101
1111 Lockheed Martin Way
Sunnyvale, CA 94089

For photons, the ratio of silicon dose to air dose would be the ratio of the
mass energy absorption coefficients (mu-en/rho)silicon / (u-en/rho)air.  For
1
MeV photons, this ratio is  0.0277 cm2/g / 0.0278 cm2/g ~ 1.0  (Appendix D3,
Attix, ("Introduction to Radiological Physics and Radiation Dosimetry",
Wiley
1986).

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton