Help: Steel Towers That Have Alpha Contamination

     Radsafers,

     I have a question that a friend posed, that some folks may have a
     recollection of. We've looked, and can't locate or materialize the
     source of the information needed.

     It deals with galvanized steel towers that are being taken down and
     removed that checked out clean beta-gamma, but have approximately 300
     dpm/frisk alpha localized.

     The alpha is fixed. We tried to perform an alpha spec but got less
     than desirable results.

     Does any one remember or know of galvanized steel towers used as
     support of electrical wires attracting or having an infinity for an
     alpha emitter that ends up becoming fixed?

     If so, does anybody know of the reference?

     Please reply directly to me, as this is a bizarre request.

     Michael McDonald, RRPT
     Radiation Protection Training Project
     Sandia National Laboratories, NM
     mpmcdon@sandia.gov