Re: K40 in dead sea

Using MicroShield and the information below, I estimate the exposure rate
at 5 cm above the water to be about 3 uR/hr (assuming no errors of course).

maay100@bgumail.bgu.ac.il on 02/18/98 11:40:14 AM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu

To:   radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
cc:    (bcc: Raymond A Hoover/TOBEOR/LMITCO/INEEL/US)
Subject:  K40 in dead sea

        This is a continuation of the string on radiation exposure from
K40.
        The Dead Sea contains contains 16 grams K per liter (approximately
8 times the average concentration in humans). At a risk of affecting our
tourist trade, I would like to ask what the estimated radiation exposure
would be to a bather floating say for 1/2 an hour in that saturated
solution.

                                Mike Quastel
                                Soroka Medical Center and
                                Ben Gurion University of the Negev