Radiation and Breast Cancer Risk

     I also have a question regarding the newspaper article about the
     study indicating increased risk of breast cancer.  If I recall
     what I read in the paper, the women studied were subjected to
     radiation as a treatment for some other primary cancer.  The
     article didn't make clear that the additional risk was due to
     what I've always heard of as "secondary" cancers; that is, the
     incidence of breast cancer in women who were being treated for
     some other type of cancer.  Nowhere in the newspaper article was
     there any reference to this, but I would assume (hope) that the
     published paper in a reputable journal like Cancer must have
     taken this into account.  I don't have easy access to a good
     medical library, but can someone out there in academia let the
     rest of us know the answer to a key question:  Was the risk of
     breast cancer increased when compared to a cohort of women who
     were treated without radiation for the primary neoplasm?  Or was
     the reported risk only compared to the incidence of breast cancer
     in an ordinary control group?

     Eric Goldin, confused and disclaimed, of course
     Southern California Edison
     <goldinem@songs.sce.com>