Recycling metals and radon - some frustrated musings

It is interesting to read proposals and comments on the proposals to
recycle metals from DOE and NRC regulated sites.   As someone who has
had his feet in two spheres; the steel industry and health physics, I
watched with annoyance and amazement while the nuclear industry
acquiesced to regulations limiting doses well below the legal limits
(and doses which over the decades have not shown real harm).   Today
we have that grand philosophical concept, ALARA, as a regulatory
requirement - when this was never the initial intention.   Is it any
wonder that the general public considers "radiation" to be a risk
much greater than it is?   As health physicists we must shoulder some
of the responsibility now that we want certain events to occur, such
as recycling.

Isn't it interesting that major cities spend hundreds of thousands of
dollars each year to "take care of" radioactive municiple waste
detected at landfills and incinerators?   And what is the culprit?
A few drops of mucous or sputum containing I-131 on a tissue!   When
cities are hard strapped for funds, they must pay people to "take
care of this hazardous material."   Does it make any sense that an
elderly patient can throw soiled "diapers" into the trash at home, but
a hospital gets fined if it does the same thing?

As an industry (health physics) we have gone along with lowering
dose limits to ridiculous levels.   How does one accurateely measure
a dose of 1 millirem over the course of a year?   I doubt we can
accurately measure a difference of 10 millirem spread over and entire
year.   Yet, we allow these regulations to become law.   Now we are
reaping the harvest of our efforts.   We have the public so
convinced that any amount of radiation is hazardous, they  "want"
no "radiation" in anything.

As an industry, we simply reply that we haven't done a good enough
job of educating the public.   But we have done a very good job.   We
have educated them to the "fact" that sub-background levels of radiation
are hazardous.   If a release limit for a facility is 1 or 10
millirem per year, then living in the Rocky Mountain states must
be really hazardous.

I don't know much about the likelihood of recycling non-ferrous
metals, but there is significant reluctance to recycling ferrous
metals - even if they are "slightly" contaminated.  One reason is
that there is a significant cost to the iron and steel industry if
the material causes an alarm.   Today's detectors are capable of
detecting gamma fluxes in the 3 to 8 percent range above the supressed
background (25% below ambient background) that occurs when a scrap
vehicle enters the monitoring area.   The facility must expend
manpower to respond to the alarm.  This is not an insignificant cost.
And because of the enormous costs involved if a source is melted in a
furnace, the sensitivity of detection systems will continue to
increase.

Another point to keep in mind is, what do you think the public's
reaction would be if it became publicized that commercial products
(cars, refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, etc.) were being
made out of steel that was contaminated with radioactive materials?
I'm sure the public would be quite reasonable and accept our
explanations that the levels were below "acceptable limits."   After
all, we have been quite successful in educating them that all
radiation is harmful, why souldn't we expect that we could re-educate
them to accept some low levels of radiation?

With respect to radon, I also have first hand knowledge.   My first
question is, "why do we test for radon and not radon daughters?"   My
second question is that if the EPA guideline is supposed to be an annual
average to which people are actually exposed, why do we recommend
remediation after a single short term test?   Wasn't the original
logic that since radon influx into a house can vary from season to
season, a single short term test wasn't adequate to determine the
annual average.   Somehow, that logic has changed.   Now a single
test (even though someone having infinite wisdom concluded that two
short term devices placed side by side during the same test period
was the equivalent of an initial and a follow up test) is adequate.
It is even better if you place a continuous monitor, you only need one,
because the continuous readings have been deemed to be equivalent to
multiple tests.   Several years ago, I calculated that I was
"responsible" for over $500,000 in unecessary mitigation because we
detected radon in concentrations of 4.0 to 4.5 pCi/l in many
basements during short term tests.   Was there a real hazard in these
homes? - I doubt it.   But was there a risk?   There certainly was!
The risk that the buyer might have to spend some money when he went
to sell the house.   Thus, the desire that the present owner "fix"
the problem.

What will we do when the public learns that salt substitutes are
radioactive?   Will we see a rash of law suits blaming cancer on
taking salt substitutes.   Or better yet, will we see malpractice
suits against doctors for prescribing salt substitutes and eating
bananas?   What will we do when we go to sell our house and someone
detects "elevated" radiation coming from the K-40 in the limestone
used as crushed rock below the slab, and refuses to buy the house.
Worse yet, what if they buy the house and learn a few years later
that the crushed rock is radioactive.   We are more liable than the
average person because we knew the rocks were "loaded" with that
terrible radioactivity.   Or, what will happen when the "good guys"
chase the evil tobacco and alcohol "baddies" out of town?   Will they
look for the next victim and find that parents can be prosecuted because
they are "poisoning" their children by forcing them to eat radioactive
spinich and carrots and broccoli, or, God, forbid, making them drink
well water that might have more than 300 pCi/l of radon in it?   Oh, I
forgot, this limit has been withdrawn, at least for the time being.

Years ago, someone in the Society produced a film, "Safety
Professionals Don't Make Good Used Car Salesmen."   It was great!
The thrust of the film was that a prospective buyer of a used car was
asking a simple question, "Is the car safe?"   The part time used car
salesmen (part time safety professional) couldn't answer the
question.   All he could do was point out all the safety features of
the car.   Finally the buyer walked away, while the saleman was
pointing out another safety feature.   In our effort to be
"scientifically correct", we often hedge our answers when asked if
low level radiation is safe.   Decades of such responses have
convinced the public that radiation must be hazardous if even ew
cannot provide a clear cut "YES" to radiation doses in the range of
background.

Finally, someone made a comment that it is cheaper to recycle steel
than produce it from raw materials and that it was safer.   It is
probably safer, when all things are considered.   However, in
actuality, it is cheaper to produce a ton of steel from raw
materials, at this point in time, than from recycled steel.   The
cost of scrap is pretty high right now because of the world wide
shortage (for good scrap).