Origin of a decontamination mix

In Canada, our atomic energy regulatory agency (AECB) publishes several
information posters on different subject. Their poster numbered
INFO-0546-1 treating of RADIOISOTOPE SAFETY of Iodine-131 gives
different precautions.
Precaution number 9 is read as:
" Clean up spills of radioisotopes with a solution of 0.1M sodium
iodine, 0.1M sodium hydroxide and 0.1M sodium thiosulphate "

Could someone know why that mixture is appropriate for iodine 131? Why
those proportions and why those three compounds? With NaI, what are the
reactions?

I have tried to get an answer from an AECB's evaluation agent, but he
could not found where it comes from and could not explains the chemical
reactions that would make that mixture suitable for decontaminating
iodine 131 spills.

Normand Freniere
Service of radiophysics
Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital