Sept Conference on Low-Level Effects

Someone once said that a court is where plaintiff and prosecutor
present two extreme, diametrically-opposed points of view, and its
the role of the jury to find the truth, which probably lies somewhere
in the middle.  I'm not familiar with all the names of all the
speakers planned for the September Conference on low-level effects of
radiation, but it looks to me like the Caldicott crowd is stacking the
deck in their favor.  They have several people with good credentials,
i.e., an MD, a PhD, who will consistently present a choreographed
extreme point of view.  They chose their opponents well.  The NRC and
power industry will present the middle ground.  Unfortunately, the
balance between these two points of view leans toward Caldicott's
group.  They win.  They get all the press.  I wouldn't be surprised
if they see this meeting as a opportunity for a knock-out punch.
We need representation by a university professor and/or a real Medical
Doctor who can present horemesis data and compelling arguments that
counter the anti-extreme point of view.  This will balance the press
who will act as the jury to the responsible middle ground.

Also, you can be sure that there will be plenty of chanters and
hecklers (like the recent townhall in Columbus on bombing Iraq).
They serve to bolster their compatriots and harass their foe.  They
need to be defused in an effective, peaceable manner.  There are some
ways to do this.

These are my thoughts and mine alone.

Tom Mohaupt, MS, CHP
Wright State University