Re: Ecologic Studies

> FIELD RESPONSE ______________________
>

> Dr. Cohen, I believe several individuals have provided you with very
> plausible explanations for your findings.
>
> Greenland and Robins (1994)  Invited commentary: ecologic studies - biases,
> misconceptions, and counterexamples.  Am. J. Epidemiology  139:747-760; 1994.

	-This was long before my paper was published. In my papers, I
responded in detail to the problems they noted, and they have not replied,
nor has anyone else. If the problems they point out are effective in
explaining our discrepancy with linear-no threshold theory, why can't you
or someone else offer a not implausible explanation for our discrepancy?

> in addition to the article in press which you know about.

	-The articles in press that I know about are by you and by Lubin.
I have responded at great length to both of you about 3 months ago,
showing that your explanations cannot explain our discrepancy. I
have heard nothing in return from either of you.

> I find their explanations very reasonable.

	-Then why not respond to my demonstrations that they are not
reasonable because they cannot explain, or substantially reduce, our
discrepancy?

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh