Re: Radon and lung cancer

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Tel: (412)624-9245
Fax: (412)624-9163
e-mail: blc+@pitt.edu

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, R. William Field wrote:

> Cohen stated
>
> All I ask is that they show that it is possible to concoct a not implausible
> explanation for my data. If their position is correct, that should not be
> difficult.
>
> Field Response ----------------
>
> Dr. Cohen,
>
> I am not surprised you could not find an analytical explanation for your
> findings.

	--I don't understand this. I am not trying to find an analytical
expression for anything. Perhaps my statement above was misleading. The
words "show that it is possible" should be deleted. All I ask is that
someone suggest a possible explanation in concrete enough terms for me to
examine it quantitatively. If the problems you refer to are real, that
shouldn't take more than an hour or so. I can show that the conclusions
from any other published ecological study may be false in that amount of
time, but I haven't been able to do it for my study after 3 years -- nor
has anyone else been able to do it.

> Greenland and Morgenstern showed in 1989 that it is not always possible to
> identify empirical sources of ecologic bias from aggregate data alone.  In
> order to explain Dr. Cohen's findings in definitive quantitative terms, a
> nationwide study at the individual level would be required.  This
> individual level study would need to gather information on individual
> smoking habits (pack-years, pack-year rate, etc.) and other risk factors.
> Once this nationwide study was completed, the individual level data could
> be compared to the ecologic data and the empirical sources of  ecologic
> bias could then be described in detail.  Obviously, such an undertaking
> would require a cost exceeding the $5,000.00 you are offering.

	-All you have to do is make a suggestion in quantifiable
concrete terms. The rest is up to me.You don't have to prove anything. I
have said this many times before; why can't you understand?

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260