Re[2]: food irradiation stuff (radiation biology lesson?)

     Ruth Wiener:
     >I am not a biologist by any means, but for me a tomato or carrot or
     >chicken breast that is for sale in the grocery or vegetable stand is
     >not LIVING.

     Let's examine the evidence.

     >It isn't breathing (no respiration)

     Ever open a package of ground beef that was brownish and see it turn
     pink?  That's the hemoglobin and myoglobin absorbing oxygen which had
     been used up in cellular respiration after the package was sealed.

     >if it's a plant it isn't photosythesizing (I think)

     Think again. Depending on light level and quality there may not be
     much photosynthesis going on, but the mechanism is still present and
     functional.

     > and it isn't metabolizing.

     Let's rethink that one too.  Ever have an onion or garlic bulb sprout?
     How about eyes on potatoes?  Ever ripen a pear, apple, or banana on
     the windowsill (although a paper bag works better)?  Trust me as an
     eyewitness that those rosy red tomatoes on display went into the
     shipping boxes about the color of a Granny Smith apple and were
     induced to turn red during shipment by a process that 'hijacks' the
     normal mechanism for ripening.

     Re-reading this, I find that I sound somewhat sarcastic in my turn of
     phrase.  This was not my intent, and please allow me to offer my
     apologies for any ruffled feelings.

     Dave Neil
     neildm@inel.gov
     maclir@if.rmci.net