Diagnostic x-ray added filters

I would like to request assistance in finding a book or article explaining
when & why to use the additional filters that are available to be inserted
in the beam on our new Toshiba diagnostic units.  There are three levers in
the tube housing which can position 1.5mm AL, 1.5mm Al & .1mmCu, and
1.5mmAl & .2mm Cu ( and combinations of these) into the beam.  I have not
found anything in the manuals or reference books on what type of
exams/patients these would be beneficial.   The tube is reasonably well
filtered without any of these in (I measured 2.86mm Al HVL @ 80kVp).  The
x-ray tech supervisor tells me that they removed the "wheel" style of
additional filters that were on the units replaced by the Toshibas because
of occasional mysterious light films.  Are these filters worth keeping or
are they an additional source of repeat films (& more dose to patients) for
our student techs?  Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Nick Schaaf, Capt, USAF, BSC
81 Diagnostics and Therapeutics Squadron
Keesler AFB
(228) 377-7390
schaaf_d@kees-sg01.kee.af.mil