Re: TMI root causes

At 11:32 AM 3/6/98 -0600, you wrote:
> the root causes of the accident were a poor safety philosophy
>(which starts with the management) and poor training and preparadness
>as a result of that.

>Michael C. Baker, Ph.D.            Safeguards Science and Technology
>					Nonproliferation and International
>                                            Security Division
>email:  mcbaker@lanl.gov             Los Alamos National Laboratory
>Phone:  (505) 667-7334               P.O. Box 1663, Mail Stop E540
>Fax:    (505) 665-4433                    Los Alamos, NM 87545
Yes,  however in you statement I would like to mention, that this not only
apply to reactors, we need  also to include a poor  radiation safety
management and poor training and emergency preparadness at radiological
facilities. Besides TMI, the Nuclear Accident in Chernobyl, and the
Radiological Accident in Goiania ended ten years ago and theirs lessons were
not sufficiently learned, even after both International Conference ,in 96
and 97. Many technical, political, economical, social and psychological
lessons should still be analyzed and learned.

· Regulations alone cannot assure safety. Indeed, once regulations become
voluminous and complex, they can serve as negative factor in Radiation Safety;

·  Training needs to have a  more realistic scenario. I have never  see any
Emergency Planning and Preparedness Radiological Training Course where a
real radioactive source was used, or even simulated, as a source (without
any notice by the trainees);

· To improve, only Safety Culture toward (Nuclear and Radiological):

        * Organization and Professional Performance;
        * Human behavior;
        * Maintenance optimization;
        * Training more realisticly the next generation

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Israel