Realistic training (info) -Reply

In my Emergency Preparedness inspections (back in the good old days) , I recall some
licensees using coleman lantern mantles placed on simulated patients to add realism
and test capabilities for surveys.  I think you can still purchase latern mantles that
contain thorium.  I also recall some facilities that contracted with a hospital to provide
99mto04 which is a routinely used short-lived radionuclide.  The technetium was
diluted and used to simulate area contamination.

The ususal disclaimers.  KMP@NRC.COM