Re: Y2K -- A Broader Perspective

This is "date masking" and it is a topic of debate at several
electric utilites that I do work at. Some have also considered "1950"
as the "new" year. The problem is that, as noted in Mr. Yourdon's
letter,  different programs handle dates in different ways, and
computer comparisons of archived data taken before and after the date
reset would be impossible. For standalone components or systems, this
may be a feasible approach, but for any system that stores/compares
historical data or interacts with other computers or components, I
believe that a new container of worms would result.

On the other hand, being a true New Englander, and believing strongly
in Yankee ingenuity, I am not as doom'n'gloom as Mr. Yourdon.
<insert tongue in cheek> Oh, yes. I'll be at home for New Year's Eve
2000, food in the pantry and jerry cans full of gas for the
generator.  <remove tongue from cheek>

> <insert tongue in cheek>  Considering the govenments acknowledgement
> that most of the federal agencies are way behind, maybe the
> solution is to revise the calendar to 1900 in the year 2000
> </insert tongue in cheek>
>
> Dale Boyce
> dale@radpro.uchicago.edu

Sam Stilwell