Re: Use of S-35

I have found trace amounts of the S-35 methionine that had leaked out of its
container and contaminated the interior of several incubators.

>Dear Radsafers,
>
>One of our university researchers will be starting work soon with S-35
>labelled methionine.  The methionine is added to cell cultures and the
>culture plates are incubated at 37 degrees C for 24 hours.  A maximum
>activity of 1.85 MBq (50 microCi) of S-35 will be used per batch.
>
>There is likely to be other culture plates in the oven at the same time.
>
>Question:  What is the possibility of significant activities of S-35 being
>released into the air within the oven?
>
>Question:  What is the possibility of the other culture plates taking up
>any of the released S-35?
>
>Regards
>
>Richard
>

>Richard Smart PhD
>Department of Nuclear Medicine
>St. George Hospital
>Kogarah, NSW 2217
>Australia
>Tel:61 2 9350 3112
>Fax:61 2 9350 3991
>Email:R.Smart@unsw.edu.au

Vincent Burkes
Health Physicist
Environmental Health & Safety
Ohio State University
1314 Kinnear Rd
Columbus, Ohio 43212-1168
Tele (614)292-1284
FAX  (614)292-6404

The opinion stated here are mine only and do not reflect those of my employer