revised comment

I posted the quote below without the last paragraph.  Because of the
importance of the correction in the last paragraph, I must post this again.
My comment with that  the actual ratio of U-234 to U-238 can be quite variable
(in water) and that the
use of a conversion factor involves a very substantial uncertainty, probably
at least 100%.

<< An excerpt reads:  "In the 1991 proposal EPA solicited comment on use of a
 conversion factor of 1.38 pCi/g or 0.67 pCi/g.... In today's rule the Agency
 is selecting the lower conversion factor, 0.67 pCi/g, because it is a
 conservative factor that is based on the 1:1 activity ratio of U-234 to U-238
 characteristic of
 naturally occurring uranium."

 The units for the conversion factor listed are incorrectly printed as pCi/g !
 The correct conversion factor should read 0.67 pCi/ug Nat U.   >>

                                                                     Robert
Holloway
                                                                     Nevada
Technical Associates